Solar Power Portal Awards 2017 – Award for Energy Storage Project – Utility Scale
We really proud and happy to announce that we won an award on 4th October, for ENERGY STORAGE PROJECT-UTILITY SCALE with Camborne Energy this year’s Solar Power Portal Awards, which is the most prestige award event in the solar and battery storage industry and it held at the NEC Hilton Metropole in Birmingham!
So what we won the award for? – Battery Packs!
The project took place in Somerset which already had a 500KWP solar farm. We installed 5 Tesla PowerPacks!
System Size 250KWA/500kWH
Number of Tesla PowerPacks 5
Inverters 1x 250KVA Dyna Power
System usage Ancillary Services Contracts
Project Value £55,000
In July 2016 We were approached by Tesla Energy about being the electrical and civil works Contractor for the first installation in Europe of their PowerPack, commercial scale battery storage system.
Being the principal contractor for a pilot project of this type required a flexible and collaborative approach with the equipment OEM and clients that is unusual on most installation projects.
The site owner already had a 500kWp solar farm with it’s own dedicated substation, and the battery storage system was to use the same electrical connection point as the solar farm.
New foundations, cable trenching and electrical protection system were needed to facilitate the installation of the battery, as well as liaison with the local DNO, SSE.
Power Services have in the course of this project:
- Acted as Principal Designer and Principal Contractor under CDM 2015 regulations
- Co-ordinated the local DNO and Ancillary services aggregator to facilitate safe connection of the system
- Designed and installed the new electrical cabling and switchgear required to integrate the new battery system
- Designed and installed new G59 protection and export limitation switchgear
- Installed a new foundation slab, cable ducting and associated civil works for the project
- Installed a comprehensive Lighting and surge protection system for the new system
- Installed communications systems to allow remote access and monitoring to key management systems
The project was completed on time and within budget, and everyone involved agreed that things were run very smoothly for a project that was begun with limited information and experience of all parties due to it being a first of it’s kind.